Heritage
Other languages

La collégiale de Saint-Junien

The Church of Saint-Junien is one of the biggest and oldest romanesque churches in Limousin. There used to be an episcopal house and a monastery around the church but it no longer exists. It was built of granite in 4 stages, from the 11th Century to the 13th century; the original plan has always been respected. However, it carries the influence of the artistic periods it went through, the romanesque through the gothic time.

Visite virtuelle

  • The tomb of Junien made out of lime is beautifully sculpted. It was made in the 12th century. Three sides of the tomb represent sculptures which refer to the fresco of the nave.
  • An interesting series of multicoloured little statues from the 15th, 16th, 17th and 18th century called “little paradise”. They adorn the columns of the nave and of the intersection.
  • An enamel shrine from the 13th century.
  • The Saint-Martial chapel and the burial scene: this chapel was offered by the priest Formier at the end of the 15th century. The statues of the burial scene were beheaded during the French Revolution except for Saint-Jean. The Christ lies on a tomb. The other statues represent the Virgin Mary , Saint-Jean , 3 other holy women and two carriers : Joseph d’Arimathie and Nicomède. The chapel is not opened to the public.
  • The Christ on cross sculpture dates back to XIIth century. This wooden sculpture was recently renovated.
  • The Saint-Junien statue : The statue dates back to the 19th century. It represents Saint-Junien slaying a dragon. It was offered by the parishioners in 1896.
  • Reliquary bust of Saint-Amand of the 17th century is made of wood. It is shown only during holidays.

 


 

The chapel of the cemetery

This chapel used to be dedicated to Saint-Guignefort. It was rebuilt in the 13th Century and dedicated to Saint-Madeleine. In the 17th century the brotherhood les “Pénitents Bleus” was domiciled in the Chapel. The Chapel is not opened to the public.

 


 

The cemetery

The oldest part of the cemetery has been recently restored. You can admire china tomb slabs which are typical of cemeteries in Limousin .

 


 

The Chapel of Notre Dame du Pont

The chapel dates back to the 10th century. It was extended thanks to King Louis XI in the 15th century in the late gothic style. It was restored end of the 19th century. The chapel is not opened to the public. It is however opened during the “Journées du Patrimoine” in mid-September.

The chapel conserved its valuable architecture: The front of the Chapel: a door with sculpted arms, decorated /adorned with an arch brace, pinnacles and a Rose window.

 


 

The Bridge Notre Dame

The Bridge Notre Dame dates back to 13th century. It is made of 6 pointed archs separated by pointed cutwaters with refuges upstream of the Vienne River.

A sculpted lamb can be seen on the bridge.

 


 

Saint-Amand Abbey

There are remnants of the church dating back to 11th century: the northern part of the transept, half of the wall of the apse, two lower vaulted rooms can still be seen. Historians consider this place as the cradle of the town. The abbey is opened to the public in the summer.

 


 

The Bridge Saint-Elisabeth

The Bridge spans the Glane River. It is located on the former road of salt connecting Lyon to the Atlantic Ocean. Built in the 13th century this bridge is made of cutting stones and of 3 pointed arcs.

 


 

La Maison des Consuls

This house dates back to 16th century. It used to belong to a Consul of the town. Napoleon who was passing through Saint-Junien slept there in 1807. The façade of the house has been recently restored. You can admire the beautiful sculpted heads on the cornices.