Natural areas
Other languages

SITE COROT

   

 

 

 This magnificent natural site is located in the north west of the town.    This valley is crossed by a river called Glane. The famous landscape painter Jean Baptiste Camille COROT (1796-1875) used to like to come and have a rest there. He came between 1852 and 1861 each summer. The owners of the site, the Roche brothers became acquainted with him and offered.

The Roche Brothers who owned the place got acquainted with the painter and decided to build for him a little house. The painter will use it as a workshop.

In 1904, 29 years after his death, Jean TEILLIET, a landscape painter in Saint-Junien decided to pay a tribute to Jean Baptiste Camille COROT. He ordered a bronze portrait of Jean Baptiste Camille Corot to his friend sculptor Coutheilas. The portrait was embedded in a rock: A day of inauguration was organized.

The Site COROT is today a place which is loved by strollers, hikers, fishermen, geocaching fans. It is also a point of departure for hikes.

To be seen : Corot’s artist studio and the medallion of Corot on the right side of the Glane river.

Visite virtuelle du site Corot

 

 


 

LA VALLEE DE LA GLANE

   

 

 

Need to escape to the country for a gentle walk or a hike close to town ? The Glane valley is located only five minutes drive from the town centre !
This beautiful scenery along the rocky valley offers visitors trails suitable for walkers of all levels.

The visitors themselves especially the geocaching fans are the best ones to comment :
« Beautiful site ….. we’ll come back for a stroll with the family »
« The beauty of this place is striking with many boulders hiding mysteries »

The Glane Valley throughout the centuries :
In the Middle Ages, fortified castles maintained law and order along the river valley and protected the town. The Châtelard is today a recreation centre located on the left bank of the Glane and Chateaumorand castle (now in ruins covered by vegetation ) is opposite the Châtelard on the right bank. The valley became a highly strategic place as mills began to appear on every river of France. The Glane river also had many mills and they were controlled by lords who built flourmills that brought them significant revenues.

In the 16th century, many flourmills became papermills. Paper was made out of rag which was used to make books.
In the 19th century the rag market collapsed. It became too expensive and mills chose another raw material: straw. Straw paper was used for food packaging. Those small businesses failed to modernise to compete with other forms of packaging and many went bankrupt at the beginning of the 20th century.
Today the cardboard industry is the cornerstone of the economic prosperity of the town. The paper industry is still very important with International Paper located just 5 km from Saint-Junien.

   

 

 


 

îLE DE CHAILLAC

   

 

 

With its 46 acres, the Chaillac island ( sometimes called Navière island, after its former owners) is the largest on the Vienne and the only important island in Limousin . Located a few minutes drive from the town center on the direction Angoulême , the Limousin section of the river ends here and you can see the influence of the massif central in the flora which has been carried here from the Limousin plateau.

Fauna : dipper, potamogeton, Potentilla montana.

A footpath has been created. Artisans and farmers settled in the middle of the island. Download the footpath.